Saturday, June 18, 2011

Fun at the Fair

If you've read the blog for awhile you know I enter cooking contests on occasion. Today I took part in the Ghirardelli Chocolate Championship. You had to create a recipe using at least one Ghirardelli baking product and no more than 10 other ingredients. There were three divisions (chocolate chips, bars, and cocoa) so I entered the Cocoa Division and used Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa. Judging Criteria was: Taste (overall and chocolate taste) 40%; Appearance 20%; Originality/Creativity 30% and Ease of Preparation 10%.

And guess what?! I won First Place in my division and Third Place out of all the entries. I was especially proud because it's a weight loss surgery friendly recipe. Woot!

Shelly's Chocolate Covered Cherry Protein Smoothie

2 cups Milk (any: cow, soy, almond...)
1/8 cup Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/8 cup Sugar Free Black Cherry Torani Syrup
1/4 cup Chocolate Protein Powder
1/4 cup Frozen Cherries

Blend in blender on high till smooth. Serves 2.

The competition was steep...

Can you spot my green blender bottles full of smoothie way in the back? I served them out of those. I also found matching green paper cups. Click on the picture to enlarge.

What I won...

Most of which obviously will be donated to the local food bank. Though my Mum said she has dibs on the milk chocolate stuff. The part I love are the ribbons and getting in the cookbook again (if you are local be sure to pick up this year's book and look on page 16 & 17 for last year's wins) but most important to me is the fact that it was weight loss surgery friendly, healthy and just as yummy as all those other choices pictured and still won!
post signature

28 comments:

cschoen said...

Awesome, and Mazal Tov!

Jacquie said...

Go Shelly! Congrats!

Jody @ The Laslink said...

That's so awesome! Congrats!!! I'll have to give that recipe a try too ;o)

Missie said...

Congrats! This sounds really delicious and I'm gonna have to give it a try very soon....nom nom nom (pointless trivia: I recently found out that "nom: means drink (the verb) in Japanese!) :o)

Annie said...

I didn't know Black Cherry existed! That just made my saliva glands go nuts! Congrats to you Sherry ... you are the amazing girl!

Annie said...

I didn't know Black Cherry existed! That just made my saliva glands go nuts! Congrats Shelly ... you are amazing girl!

Diann said...

Way to go, Shelly! Proud of you!

Diann

Andrea Brooks said...

That's awesome! Congrats!!!

Theresa said...

Congratulations Shelly- I love Ghiradelli Cocoa powder !!

Candi said...

I would love to win those so i can try them:) OH and congrats! I love chocolate!!!

Candi Noftz
kandiekan82@yahoo.com

Sheila said...

Congrats! The fact that it is WLS friendly and won 3rd place overall is a great accomplishment!

LeeLee said...

That's terrific, Shelly! I'm so happy for you, and I can't wait to try the recipe. Gotta get some of that syrup, though. Congratulations!

Connie said...

Congratulations! You rock!!
Connie

unewillow said...

Congrats on your win! I am going to try this out tomorrow night but using Hershey's (because that's what I have) instead :)

Lisa_Gibson said...

Wow, that totally rocks! Congrats to you! Way to go Shelly. :)

Nica said...

Congratulations on winning in your division!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations

Anonymous said...

Congrats! You go girl, keep showing everyone that healthy eating can still taste great!

Thanks for all you do!

debndar said...

Congrats on your big chocolate win. It is great that they chose a weight loss friendly recipe as a winner.

Nkara said...

you had me at chocolate!

Congratulations!

Linda said...

Congrats to you my friend your the bomb!!! Keep up the wonderful work!!
Your Pa friend,
Linda

Nanette said...

Congrats Shelly!! You really need to do a cookbook, I bought the Pioneer Woman cookbook, hers started with a blog too. But with so many of us following your blog and referring other WLS and non WLS people to it, Im sure it would be very popular, and people need to know about protein shakes that don't taste like Monkey's ass!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Shelly! You do so much good here, it great to see good things come your way!

neweyeswideopen said...

I can't wait to try this one. Great Job, Congratulations!

mobile said...

These are great news, congratulations, you deserve it. If this recipe was so good i will try it for sure, i will tell you these days my opinion.

Dixie said...

Could you tell me what kind/brand of protein powder you used? It sounds MAVELOUS! I can't wait to try it!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thank Dixie. This was made with SEI Nutrition Max Protein - Chocolate.

Heather Rhinebeck said...

Congratulations!I can't wait to try this!