Monday, January 18, 2010

Turkey Enchilada Soup

My super easy protein packed lunch. Perfect for this rainy day. I'm actually enjoying the rain today... of course it's only Day 1, ask me again on Day 5. Steam cleaned all the tile in the house (kitchen, dining room, bathrooms) with my new steamer (I love it) and made this yummy soup. Now: sitting eating my soup, cozy sweater, watching the puddles form on the patio through the window.

Shelly's Turkey Enchilada Soup

1 Yellow Onion, chopped
1/2 package Ground Turkey
1 (15 oz.) can Corn, drained
1 (15 oz.) can Black Beans, drained & rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can Red Enchilada Sauce (I use Mild)
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/4 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Olive Oil for sauteing

Shelly's Spicy Yogurt Dip
Fresh Cilantro
Cheddar Cheese

Saute onions till golden. Add turkey and cook till no pink is seen. Add remaining ingredients. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Leftovers are even better the next day after everything gets a chance to love on each other.

Top each serving with Shelly's Spicy Yogurt Dip, fresh Cilantro and Cheddar Cheese.

Listening to: Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds "Jimi Thing"


Anonymous said...

I love my floor steamer so much I asked for and received the hand held one for Christmas.
It's like I never really cleaned everything so well before.
I like that there is no chemicals involved and it's fast and easy.
I made your Pea, ham, cheese salad last night, very good!

Anonymous said...

i loved the enchillada soup. is there anyway or do you ever put the nutritional value on your foods that you make. i am dumb to that. or do you think you could explain how to come up with the value when i make things homemade....

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Amie, I love that steamer... I want to steam everything. Feels so clean afterward. I wish I had more tile. LOL.


Anon, No no not dumb at all... here's the why's of why I don't post it.

You can figure out nutrition information to any recipe (mine or others) by going to a site like

Go to a clean day (one you haven't entered items on)

Enter each individual ingredient you have used

The total # of cals, carbs, proteins, fats will be given

Take those totals and divide by the # of servings you get from the dish.

Nutrition facts can vary so widely... on my plan I use full fat cheese, full fat mayo, butter, olive oil, others may use low fat cheese or horrors that non fat toxic waste, what percentage % fat of beef or turkey you use, etc. The nutrition numbers would swing like a pendulum. Plus... serving size can vary what I eat as a 3+ year post-op is a very different amount than a 3 month, 6 month, or 4 year post-op.

Hope this helps,