Friday, January 15, 2010

Nutty Hoecakes

Hoecakes are a coarser, denser version of pancakes, sort of biscuit-like in texture and generally made of cornmeal. They're Native American in origin and made in the south or so this ex-New Yawker, current Valley Girl hears. If you are wondering about the name they were originally cooked out in the fields, on the blade of a hoe, over an open fire. Hoe-cakes. I think it sounds like an insult you'd yell at someone who tried to cozy up to your man, "Hey Hoecakes! Hands-off."

My city girl version is made with a combo of almonds and protein powder. They make a great on-the-go breakfast.


Shelly's Nutty Hoecakes

1/2 cup Almonds
1/2 cup Vanilla Protein Powder
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix (I use this)
1 Egg Yolk
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Almond)

Whiz almonds in a mini food processor till ground (cornmeal-ish consistency.)

Mix all ingredients together. Coat a non-stick pan with Pam or canola oil. Spoon dollops of batter (about 2 T per hoecake) into pan and flatten with a spatula. Brown until crisp, turn and brown on reverse side. They will not bubble look for golden edges before flipping. You can eat them warm with SF Maple Syrup but I actually prefer them plain at room temperature.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Shelly, I am wondering if you would ever consider auditioning for The Next Food Network Star? It seems like you would be a sure thing to get on that show, and TV needs a show dedicated to recipes specifically for post weight loss surgery people. I know I would definitely watch!

Amy said...

You da woman, Shelly!! Hoecakes are the best and are definitely a big hit here in Arkansas. In addition to having them sweet with syrup, we eat them with a big ole bowl of black eyed peas or purple hull peas, as they are great for soaking up all the liquid yumminess. :)

Catherine said...

"Nutty hoecake" sounds like something a kid would say. "You're a nutty hoecake." "No, YOU'RE a nutty hoecake." LOL

mary brockmeyer said...

Shelly- would you consider doing a blog on WLS friendly fast food? Every so often I get stuck on the road, and I'm having problems finding options at typical drive through restaurants.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Awww Michelle. Thank you for the vote of confidence and for making me smile today!! I love that show... they kick the crap outta those people though LOL.

***

Amy, Hope you love them. These are definitely sweet with the addiction of SF Syrup and Protein.

***

Catherine LOL it's true.

***

Mary, Your wish is my command. Just put it up ;) Hope it helps.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I made these this weekend, and my daughter and hubby ate them up and asked for more. They were so good! I didn't have any pancake mix, so I used spelt flour instead, but they were awesome. Thanks so much, I have been missing pancakes for a long time.

Christina said...

OMG!! I made these this weekend, and my family wolfed them down. I barely got to try them. They were so good, I've already been asked to make more. I didn't have any pancake mix, so I used spelt flour instead. These will be a repeat every weekend I'm sure!