Monday, August 11, 2014

Post Weight Loss Surgery Menus: A day in my pouch

A day in my pouch is a series of blog posts to show what a typical daily menu looks like in my post weight loss surgery world. Here's what my eating yesterday looked like...

Breakfast: I love these Cottage Cheese Doubles. This one is the mango, it's just the perfect amount of fruit to cottage cheese ratio. I grab a bunch when they are on sale they are great grab and go breakfasts or dessert-y snack when I want something sweet. Knudsen makes them on the west coast. I think Breakstones makes a similar product back east.

More Grab and Go Breakfasts

Lunch: My Baked Scotch Egg experiment was a delicious success. I had one (very filling) with a dollop of mustard yogurt sauce. These will be made often at my house. For those of you that asked about nut allergies, you can certainly just leave off the nut coating though they won't be crispy coated or maybe crush some Crunchy Cheese and roll them in those crumbs.


Dinner: I made a batch of mini meatloaves. We ate some for dinner with fresh picked tomatoes from the garden (sadly they are coming to an end I think), a sprinkle of oregano and salt & pepper and a dollop of Greek yogurt for dipping/dressing. I am a dipper. The leftovers meatloaves I wrapped up and froze for an easy dinner later this week.

Shelly's Bacon Onion and Cheese Mini Meatloaf

1 1/4 pounds Ground Beef or Turkey, the average weight of 1 package
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
2-3 Green Onions, diced
1/4 cup Oatmeal
1/4 cup Milk
1 Egg, beaten
1/4 cup Crumbled Bacon or Real Bacon Bits

a few twists of Black Pepper

1 teaspoon Shredded Colby Jack or Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese

Saute onions till golden, set aside to cool. Soak oatmeal in milk for 1 minute (you can use almond meal or bread crumbs if you do bread) Beat egg. Add cooled onions, egg and soaked oats to ground meat. Add all remaining ingredients. Mix till combined. Divide into 8 equal mounds. Form into mini meatloaves or if you have this super groovy pan like me use it. Bake for 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Place 1 teaspoon of cheese on top of cooked loaves and broil for a minute till cheese is gooey and bubbly.

These keep for a couple of days in the fridge or freeze well either cooked or uncooked. I have found the trick to eating leftovers as a post-op is to keep things moist. I love this gadget for that. You put a couple of tablespoons of water in the base and it steam heats the food. Totally keeps foods from drying out. One of the best post-op gadgets in my kitchen.

Snacks: Too much coffee and 2 scoops of Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Protein Ice Cream. I had my ice cream sitting outside on the patio waiting to see meteors. I saw 2 and got a neck ache. The supermoon was beautiful though and dessert was delicious. Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Shelly's Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Protein Ice Cream

1 cup Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
2 scoops Chocolate Protein Powder
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla)
1/4 cup Powdered Peanut Butter
Optional: 1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Chocolate Chips (Walmart)

Mix together milk, protein, syrup, powdered peanut butter. Whiz it on super turbo high in the blender, you want airy, almost double in size. Pour into ice cream maker. Follow your machine's instructions for freezing. If you are adding the chocolate chips add them in the last 5 minutes or fold them in at the soft serve stage. 

You can eat it right away it is soft serve-ish (pictured double batch) but I like to put it in the freezer to set for an hour or so to get scoopable. If you leave it to get too hard just nuke ice cream 25 seconds to soften again. Optional yummy topping (pictured): 1 teaspoon Peanut Butter, nuked 30 seconds till drizzly

More Eggface Protein Ice Cream Recipes
More Days in my pouch

post signature


Living 4 Real said...

Hi Shelly,I'm having a hard time finding those cottage cheese doubles. Where do you find them?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Amanda, The stores that carry them in my area are Walmart (pineapple, peach, raspberry, blueberry, strawberry), Albertson's (pineapple, peach, strawberry), Ralph's (pineapple, mango, strawberry)

kdlyn22 said...


Is there any way to make this ice cream without an ice cream machine? Not sure if I could freeze it and stir once in a while or if I just need to splurge and get a machine.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Not really the churning is what gives you ice cream... you could pour into a popsicle mold and make pops but its not the same... end of summer should be sales on machines :)