Thursday, May 1, 2014

Starbucks Un- Happy Hour

Just got the latest promotion from Starbuck's in my inbox this morning: Get half off any Frappuccino® Blended Beverage Happy Hour May 1st-10th, 3-5 PM. Word of warning: You might want to just say FrappuciNO. A Grande Caramel Ribbon Crunch has 450 calories, 75 grams of sugar (no that's not a typo 75 grams!) and 77 grams of carbs and that was switching it to non-fat milk (from the default whole milk.) Take the whipped cream off and you save a few cals (320 cals, 68 g. sugar, 69 g. carbs) but WHOA!? FYI: 4 grams equals 1 teaspoon of sugar. It's pretty early here in California for math but that's almost 19 teaspoons of sugar.

Alternative... Try a Grande Sugar Free Iced Latte instead (80-100 cals depending on milk, 10 grams sugar, 12 grams carbs) 

 

It's not as fluffy and pretty and not 1/2 off but is it really savings if you need to use that money for a Dr's co-pay in the future. Or stay home make yourself a Coffee Protein Shake. Several to choose from: Chike makes a great High Protein Iced Coffee, Big Train's Fit Frappé is another, and Click. All tasty, give them a try, see which is your favorite and check their stats to see which work in your plan.

post signature

8 comments:

Kate said...

I love Starbucks, but do stick to the tall or grande "skinny" lattes. Still feel like I am getting a treat, but not sabotaging my plan!

AllysonB said...

Hey! First time commenter here. And of course it was coffee that made me do it. I used to be a frappuccino addict. And it wasn't just the nutrition stats but the cost that made me start experimenting with making my own. For some reason the Big Train brand upsets my stomach. I have never tried Click or Chike. Very curious how those are...might have to see if I can find some samples somewhere. In case anyone wants to try a really low calorie sugar free frappuccino-like coffee concoction this is what I make almost every morning and I do realize there's a lot of splenda in here so if you don't have an aversion to it give it a try: I brew 6-8 ounces of half-caff or decaf in my keurig. I put that in the blender and then add 4 ounces of Califia Farms Toasted Coconut Almond Milk (25 calories). To this mix I then add 2-4 packets of splenda depending on how sweet I want it. A splash or two of sugar free torani syrup like hazelnut or coconut or something. Then I add about half a teaspoon (more or less depending on your taste) of granulated decaf coffee to give it more of a coffee punch. Then I add about three good pinches of xantham gum. I blend this for a minute. Then I add 6-10 ice cubes depending on how thick it is getting and the texture I want it to have. Blend Blend Blend. It comes in at only 25 calories and is a thick-ish, frothy, creamy yummy tasting frozen coffee. On the weekends I top it with a couple squirts of light whipped cream.

Amy Nesbitt said...

My husband is addicted to the frapps. My standby is the caramel flan with soy add a shot of expresso. No more than 1 per day... unless its a bad day.

Born2lbFat said...

They can make Skinny Fraps, use the sugar free syrups and skim milk, then blend. Pretty much a blended iced latte, on that same note I've heard people ordering some of the iced teas and asking for them to be blended like a slush. I like the Passion Tea w/ Splenda and am going to try to remember to get it blended next time.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

The Frap light is 110 cals, 23g sugar, 24 g carbs better... but I think I'll still stick with the SF Iced Latte.

K.Nelson said...

Thank you so much for the information.

Randi said...

You could get a light frap. I really love the Big train made with crushed ice.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

The Frap light is 110 cals, 23g sugar, 24 g carbs better... but I think I'll still stick with the SF Iced Latte.