Saturday, March 23, 2013

A day in my pouch

A day in my pouch is a series of blog posts (I try and post them every few days) to show what a typical daily menu looks like in my post weight loss surgery world. Today's menu...

Breakfast: This breakfast makes me smile. Faux Fried Egg: Pineapple Cottage Cheese (or Sugar Free Torani Sweetened Ricotta) and a Peach or Apricot half.


I took a quick walk around the lake near my house and then head over to the Farmer's Market. I really didn't need much I'm trying to use some freezer supply but I wanted some of that baby bok choy to make my favorite soup this week. My haul: baby bok choy, avocado, oranges, onions, wasabi almonds, asparagus, mushrooms.

Lunch: One of my easy go-to lunches. Turkey, Cheese and Avocado Melted Roll-up with a Caprese-ish Salad (tomatoes, basil, mozzarella cheese, oregano, salt and pepper)


I used Turkey, Muenster, and Avocado this time (what I had on hand) but any combination works. Some favorites are Ham and Swiss with sauteed Mushrooms inside or Roast Beef, Provolone and grilled Onions (Philly Cheesesteak-ish) or Turkey, Swiss, Green Chili.


Yummy as is or saute a few minutes on each side till cheese is gooey. Gooey. Yes, please.


Dinner:  My afternoon was running around town doing errands with stops at Trader Joe's, Wal-mart and Costco on Saturday, why do I do that to myself? I actually got all NY on a guy that was in a big hurry and almost rammed his shopping cart into my Mum.

Me: "Dude, WTF is wrong with you?" (yes I dropped the F-bomb in the store, its been one of those weeks)
Asshat: "There's nothing wrong with me, you should watch your mouth."
Me: "What are you my Dad? Slow down."

I picked up one of those shrimp cocktail platters at Costco and some yummy cheese at Trader Joe's. I came home and packed up a couple of bento box dinners and Mum and I went to the park to eat dinner.


Pink Box (top left): Cooked Shrimp, Lemon Wedge
Green Box (top right): a Tablespoon of Cocktail Sauce (in little blue container)
Blue Box (bottom left): Wasabi Almonds (Farmer's Market find) and a hunk of Creamy Cinnamon Dusted Toscano Cheese (a Trader Joe's find)
Orange Box (bottom right): A hunk of the new Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Quest Protein Bar (my new favorite flavor)

More bento box lunches

Snacks: Coffee and I just made up a batch of my Greek Hummus Rounds.


I'm eating a few now as I blog. Going to take a couple outside and stare at the stars.


More days in my pouch 

You know how I had to replace my computer after Southern California Edison fried it with a huge power surge in my neighborhood. Well my new computer's mouse worked for a day and died. Is there any quality control happening these days?! Anyway... I had of course installed programs and all sorts of things already and it seemed silly to take back a computer for a mouse. I just plugged in an old mouse and put a call into HP for a replacement. You'd think this process would be easy. I'm on the 7th call and still no mouse.

Call 1: Hello my mouse on this brand new computer is broken. Them: Oh you need this other #
Call 2: Hello my mouse on this brand new computer is broken. Them: Let's troubleshoot the mouse (verdict: it's broken) but we can't find your mouse in our system, we'll call you back.
Call 3: We're sorry we can't find that particular mouse in our system will call you back in 2 days.
Call 4: We found the mouse in China, it's ordered.
Call 5: Sorry the mouse is back ordered.
Call 6: Sorry the mouse will take longer than we thought (left a message)
Call 7: (6 AM Pacific time) Sorry the mouse will take longer than we thought.

Without coffee and at 6 AM they got... "WTH I think this is the 6th damn call about this $3 mouse. I got the mouse message. I'm done talking about the mouse. When the mouse gets here, it gets here." Click.

Click... something I can't do without a mouse ;)

OK off to stare at the heavens with my hummus rounds.

post signature

12 comments:

lindasteller said...

LOL Shelley - I shop at Costco a lot, largely because the products are generally excellent quality (and lots of organics), and buying in bulk, I save lots of money. A foodsaver and a freezer make it great. I would say, however, that Costco is THE place that can really bring out the f-bomb in a girl. People seem to lose all sense of propriety in that place. From clogging up the parking lot while they wait for a spot by the door, to stopping with their huge shopping cart right in the middle of the entry, and clogging up the aisle while they wait for a sample of everything available, they drive me wild. I do my best to never be in a hurry when I'm there, and I keep a sharp eye out for distracted shoppers! Thanks for the recipes.

Anonymous said...

The hummus recipe looks yummy. Glad you are doing ok after your Costco trip. And you have to love modern technology and help lines on computers. Stay safe and have a great week.

Ramona, Broussard, LA

Holly said...

I love your recipes and "a day in my Pouch" so helpful for a newbie like me. I also love the way you tell your stories!

Anonymous said...

Way to stand up for your momma!! She looks so sweet in the pics you post I just want to hug her! My gma used to live with me and I'd beat someone down if they came close to hitting her!

Denise H. said...

Oh no he di'in! Nobody almost runs into Mum and gets away with it. Ain't nobody got time for dat!

Amy S. Petrik said...

Can I get your soup recipe for the bock choy (SP???) .... thanks, Amy at kirtepa@gmail.com or at http://bohemianburble.wordpress.com/

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks guys... I rarely get that pissed but LOL he messaed with my Momma ;)

***

Amy, http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2013/02/my-happy-chinese-new-year-menu.html links in the entry too :)

Don said...

I feel for you, my less than 6 month old dell laptop was completely fried by a Thunderstorm a couple of weeks ago. The culprit here was a crappy South American power grid. However, I have not even tried to get it serviced down here, since I imagine my only bet would be to ship it back to the states. Might just be easier to get a new computer. Luckily I did have an older laptop.

dragonfly1125 said...

I love your blog! I have a totally unrelated question. I take the celebrate multi complete capsules. The bottle says to take three daily. I can't find a clear answer as to wether I should take all three at once, or separate them. Just curious as to what your thoughts are on it. Thank you for your time! :)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

:( Don. Uggh. Well glad it was just the computer that got it and no one got a free perm ;)

***

On the Vits, check with your medical posse but I separate them... I have so many to take I break it up throughout the day.

Linda said...

Love, love, love the turkey rollup with munster cheese and avocado. So creamy and gooey and yummy! I've been having it for breakfast. Thanks!

mylynn1377 said...

Wal-Mart makes me lose my mind. I used my cart as a battering ram when a lady with no sense ran into my friend who happened to be pregnant (visibly pregnant mind you). She ended up leaving rather quickly.