A weekly round-up of tidbits, tips, ideas, news articles, random cool things...
1. Starting to think about my Easter menu. Waiting to see what the Farmer's Market has tomorrow before finalizing everything. It's going to be a quiet day. Dinner and a movie. I just bought "We Bought A Zoo." I hadn't seen it but I practically grew up at a zoo (my Pop worked at one) so I thought I'd like it and umm yum Matt Damon what's not to like?! I could watch him read the phone book for 2 hours and I'd give it two thumbs up!
If you are looking for a high protein side that would be great with ham. Give this a try...
12 oz bag Frozen, Shelled Edamame
1/4 cup Ricotta Cheese
1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
1 Tablespoon Roasted Garlic
a few sprigs of Fresh Basil
1 Teaspoon Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
Boil the edamame for 5 minutes in water. Drain and place in a mini food processor with all other ingredients and whiz till smooth-ish. Great with as a side with meats, fish or on it's own like a hummus type dip using my crackers.
2. April Fool's Day came and went this week and I think out of all the April Fool's jokes and posts I saw online this one was the ABSOLUTE BEST!
3. Some articles I read this week that were worth checking out:
Can We Please Stop with the Fat Shaming Already?
Is it OK to discriminate against obese people?
Bariatric surgery linked to increased fracture risk - Read this then immediately chomped my Celebrate Vitamins Calcium Plus 500 Orange Burst.
More on Carnie: Carnie Wilson on Second Weight Loss Surgery: I've Learned to Take Care of My Health
Size matters for obese cancer patients' drug dose, doctors say
Though Uncommon, Some Gastric Bypass Patients Under 21
Take the Slimpressions Positive Self-Talk Challenge because we should NEVER be an enemy to our self.
and you HAVE to check this out...
The Faces of Obesity: Illustrated BMI Categories - an eye-opening set on Flickr
4. The other day was National Walking Day. Before weight loss surgery walking physically hurt and required multiple stops. Post weight loss surgery I love to walk. I take a long one every day. It's my main form of exercise. Thankfully my town has some wonderful walking trails and pretty decent weather year round (props to The City of Temecula.) I spotted this neat feature on The American Heart Association website where you can type in your zip code and find walking paths in your neighborhood.
5. Sunday is the last day to enter the Celebrate Spring Giveaway! Click here to add your name in the hat for a chance to win this awesome basket of goodies...