Thursday, March 10, 2011

A day in my pouch

My day in post weight loss surgery eating...

Breakfast: Made this yummy protein shake. Reminded me of those Linzer Tart Cookies you know the ones with the heart-shaped cut out and jam.


Shelly's Linzer Cookie Protein Shake

8 oz. Vanilla Soy Milk
1 scoop of Vanilla Protein Powder
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Almond Torani Syrup
1 1/2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Raspberry Torani Syrup
3-4 Ice Cubes

Blend on high.

Lunch: Took my laptop, my super cool bento box packed with lunch and some snacks to the park. It was sunny & 79 degrees and nothing was going to keep me inside. Finished a project I was working on. Enjoyed the sun and fresh air. For all the good it did me. When I went home I planned on mowing the lawn and pulling weeds but I started to feel achy and blah. I sneezed like a million times too. Thought I might be getting sick. I was right. Woke up this AM with a head cold :(


Pink Box (top left): Shelly's Tuna, Lentil & Edamame Salad
Green Box (top right): hunk of an ISS Oh Yeah Peanut Butter Caramel Protein Bar
Blue Box (bottom left): Just the Cheese Crunchy Cheese - Grilled Cheese flavor
Orange Box (bottom right): Shelly's Chocolate Peanut Power Yogurt

Shelly's Tuna, Lentil & Edamame Salad

1 bag (12 oz.) frozen shelled Edamame, cooked & cooled
1 1/2 cups cooked Lentils
1 Cucumber, chopped
1 can Tuna Fillets, packed in Olive Oil, drained
1 Tablespoon Lemon Infused Olive Oil
(or Regular Olive Oil w/juice of 1/2 a lemon)
1 Tablespoon of some Fruity Vinegar (Citrusy, Lemon, Champagne)
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
Kosher Salt to taste
a few twists of Black Pepper

Cook edamame (boil in salted water for 5 minutes, drain.) Edamame (young soybeans are found in the frozen bagged veggie section) Cool them in the fridge. When cool combine will all other ingredients and refrigerate for several hours before serving.

I used pre-cooked lentils from Trader Joe's (find in the refrigerator section) but you could just soak dry ones and cook then chill.

Shelly's Chocolate Peanut Power Yogurt

3 oz. Greek Yogurt (I used Fage Plain 2%)
2 Tablespoons Chocolate Protein Powder
2 heaping Tablespoons Powdered Peanut Butter (aka PB2, Peanut Flour, defatted peanut butter)
2 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla)
Optional: 1 Tablespoon Chopped Peanuts

Whiz everything together in a mini food processor till smooth. Top with some chopped peanuts

Eat on its own or dip sliced Apples, Pears, Celery, Fruit Skewers, Cucumber, Strawberries, Banana Chunks.

Dinner: Made a veggie frittata out of bits and bobs I had in the fridge. Eggs, sauteed onion and hunk of red pepper, a few leaves of spinach that needed using, a cheese stick chopped up, some Parmesan. Cook like an omelet then put under the broiler for a few minutes to brown.

Snacks: way too much coffee, stuff from my bento lunch and a big scoop of my Fluff Stuff (an Orange Mango version) during American Idol. Are you watching this season? Last night I liked Casey Abrams and James Durbin. Not really feeling any of the girls yet.

So that was my day. Yum.

post signature

14 comments:

Lehnanne G. Kidd said...

I love Just the Cheese!!

Deborah said...

Mmmmm, that tuna salad looks so good and I'm looking forward to trying your recipe for the peanut yogurt. My daughter and I watch American Idol together and I, too, like Casey. I appreciate James' talent but he's too similar to Adam Lambert so that annoys me a bit.

Cassie said...

AMEN on the American Idol comment- what is with the girls this season? they all seemed to have given up already! There is certainly not a Kelly Clarkson in the bunch.

p.s.- have you been to the Cheesecake Factory lately? (I am not sure if they are in your area) They have this appetizer- Thai Lettuce Wraps that are amazing! It is cooked chicken with great seasoning and peanuts and an array of veggies (carrots, bean sprouts, some cucumber pickle-y things)all on a plate with butter lettuce to use as wrappers. I am careful to not have a ton of the sauces that come with it (i am sure they are full of sugar) and i skip the noodles on the plate- but it is a delicious meal that I (10 months post-op) can eat once in the restaurant and then have enough for two more meals with the leftovers. Worth a try if you are ever there.

p.p.s- Ask the waitress to just not bring the bread basket at all and just close your eyes when you walk by the cheesecake display and I promise that place is not as torturous as it sounds.

Dawn said...

I have a question about the bento box. How do you keep the containers from leaking? Like today's yogurt in the little orange tub. Do you have to keep the box flat all the time? I love it but need to be able to slip it vertically into my computer bag. What do you think?

I'm a huge (well not anymore!) fan and love your recipes!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

:) Lehnanne Me too. I think the White Cheddar is my fav then Grilled Cheese.

***

Deborah & Cassie, My Mum is a big Idol fan. So far my money is on Casey. I like the James boy too and am impressed that he has Turret's, I like the message it sends of overcoming obstacles.

Cassie, I haven't been lately. Pre-op I love CF. LOL wasn't much I didn't love. I did go once post-op (closest one is still pretty far away) and had a build your own omelet. HUGE. The lettuce warps sound yummy. I do a version of them sort of a knock-off of PF Chang's. Lemme link you: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2009/02/i-feel-need-need-for-speed.html

***

Dawn, I haven't thankfully had anything leak... the lid fits pretty snuggly with little space is left. Though I don't put anything too soupy in the unlidded ones. Pudding and yogurt seem fine carried vertically. You could always saran wrap them too. LOL I get nervous too sometimes but so far so good.

lavendergrrrl said...

There was a day when I found your website. I had just had lap RNY and couldnt wait to try your recipes. I have tried so many and not found one of your recipes that I didnt like. I was grateful that there was hope for enjoying my mini-meals after WLS.

My partner is three days out from her Lap RNY. She is allow jello right now and her diet changes tomorrow to include greek yogurt. I have made fluff (without fruit) in her favorite flavor -lime. Today I am grateful for your recipes and desire to share them with the world. Tomorrow she will get to enjoy your fluff for the first time. She is super excited!

I just wanted to say Thanks and THANKS again!

nuttymom said...

I really like the recipes you come up with! I am not overweight and never really have been, am actually very fit and enjoy eating well and working out. I like the post you did on how to stop eating "white foods" flour and sugars. If it makes anyone feel better I don't have a weight problem but I choose not to eat white flour and sugary or processed foods just because of the way they make me feel. I feel so much better when I eat better. It's a cliche for sure, but you really are what you eat. :) I think people just get into the habit of eating crap, but it's just as easy to eat an apple in the car as it is to eat a cheeseburger.

Jessica said...

Hi! I have a pretty silly question... What do you do with all the leftovers? The pictures of everything you bake look like it is huge portions but you only pack a little in your bento box. What do you do with the rest?

I hope I can cook some of your recipes post-op. They look great! I'm afraid I will have a hard time know how much "protein" is in the recipes, etc. Do you have a favorite calorie counter or do you just know from being a cook?

Okay, one last annoying question, sorry! Do you measure out your food? Like with a scale? How many ounces are in your mini muffin pans?

Sorry, that was way more than 1 last question. I start my post-op journey Thursday! RNY is scheduled for 1! :)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Awww Thank you lavendergrrrl. Speedy healing wishes to your partner too. Hope she enjoys the Fluff Stuff.

***

Nuttymom, It is so true. You are what you eat. Eat crap = feel like crap for sure. Too many years of that. Thank you for the lovely compliment.

***


Jessica, Never a silly question. If you hit the search box on the site and type in leftovers you'll get tons of ideas of what I do with them... I call it repurposing http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2009/07/repurposing.html

Here's how I figure out nutritional values: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/p/links.html

Portion size should be determined by your Dr's plan at the particular stage you are at. What I eat as a 4 1/2 post-op is vastly different from a 4 month post op, etc. I have eaten all of these foods since 8 weeks out but the portion is definitely different this far out.

Mini muffin pans are standard mini muffin pans. I'm sure amazon link on the left hand side of the blog with have the dimension, not in the kitchen right now but 2" or so is my guess.

Di said...

Hey Shelly!

The smoothie sounds great! I have gotten bored and tired of my protein drinks but need them OH SO BADLY! I had surgery a few months ago to remove a malignant tumor and am trying to get my strength back, physically and mentally. What gadget are you using to make your smoothies? I have a BIG Kitchen Aide blender that is a pain the you-know-what to clean. I love it...pricey and neato, but a pain. So I opted for a cheapo Hamilton Beech single blender thingy....cheapo, but effective, although I think the blades are getting dull. Just wondering what you are using these days for a single serve smoothie.

As always....loving and appreciating all you do for we "pouchers."

di

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Di, I hope you are feeling better every day. Protein will help definitely... best for healing/building those healthy cells. I use a big blender. I have seen those little single shake makers and have been tempted but you know one more gadget to find space for.

Hope you are 110% soon!

Jen said...

Hi Shelly,

I have a question about the bento....I know you don't post portion size, but I am curious if you eat that at one sitting. I am almost 2 years out and could do maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of what's in there.

I like to see what others eat, especially as I get further out. Thanks in advance :)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Jen,

Sometimes. Mostly it's 1 meal plus a snack just in case I'm out longer than anticipated. Sometimes that comes home with me and I eat it later. Sometimes I bring an extra muffin or something I have made to share with someone who asks about it. Sometimes if my Mum is with (going to the beach) it's packed with enough for both of us. Depends really.

Jen said...

Thanks Shelly! That sounds more like what I would do too :) I have to eat every 2 hours, like a baby.

It really helps to see what others are up to. And BTW, I have been totally digging your pistachio muffins and coconut cake...along with the shamrock shake (or thin mint, depending on if I want chocolate!) I have been adding a real thin mint to the shake when I make it....so yummy!

Thanks again for all the awesome recipes :)