Monday, February 22, 2010

A day in my pouch

Well I think I'm coming through the other side of this creeping crud finally. Today is not as bad as yesterday. Which isn't saying much but heck I'll take it. Do everything you can to prevent getting whatever it is that is flying around this year because it packs a wallop. I probably got it from some germ laden shopping cart. You know those things are like little Petri dishes of nastiness. I think I'm gonna give them up and start walking around with all my groceries piled up in my arms. Ehhh if I did that I'd probably end up dropping something, falling down and getting impaled by produce. You can't win.

I am always in somewhat jealous awe of those who say they lost their appetite while ill this never happens to me. I always manage to eat. Here's what I had yesterday.

Breakfast: Mmmm 2 Cherry Berry Mini Muffins sliced in half and sauteed till golden and crispy.


Shelly's Cherry Berry Mini Muffins

3/4 cup Spelt Flour
1/2 cup Strawberry Protein Powder (20% off)
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
dash of Salt
1/4 cup Cherries, chopped, frozen, defrosted
3/4 cup Fresh Strawberries, chopped
2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
2 Eggs, beaten
2 Tablespoons Cottage Cheese
1/4 cup Sugar Free Vanilla Torani Syrup
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

Optional topping: 1 Tablespoon Unsweetened Coconut

Preheat oven to 350. Spray mini muffin tin with Pam and set aside. Mix all ingredients (except topping) together till combined. Spoon into muffin tin. Sprinkle unsweetened coconut on the tops of each muffin. I usually do half the batch.


Bake at 350 for 12 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.

Remove pans from oven. Allow to cool in the pan for 3 minutes. Transfer to wire cooling rack to cool completely. Store in a sealed container to keep them soft and moist. Makes 24.

A couple of these babies split open, sauteed in a pan till they get golden crispy edges and smeared with No Sugar Added Strawberry or Blueberry Jam = Heaven. Nom nom nom.

I always freeze half the batch. I wrap them in plastic wrap and toss them in a gallon freezer Ziploc bag then take them out a hour or so before I want to eat them. To reheat: you can nuke them, toast them, or heat in a pan like mentioned above.

Lunch: Shelly's Chicken & Dill Tortilla Pizza - Mission Carb Balance Whole Wheat Fajita Size Tortilla topped Dill flavored Havarti Cheese, Sliced Chicken (cold cuts), a sprinkle of Parmesan and Italian Seasonings.


Dinner: Shelly's Speedy Stroganoff Meatballs and Steamed Carrots. I had 2 mushrooms in the house so I added 1 cup of frozen peas to my original version. Oh and I used Fage Greek Yogurt (2%) versus Sour Cream which I will do from now on.


Snacks: Shelly's Café Biscotti Protein Shake, a Cutie Mandarin Orange, 4 Dried Apricots, 10 Cashews, lots of Coffee.

8 comments:

Heather said...

Shelly,

Love your blog. Read everyday, but I have a question for you. I use MAX protein now (thank you I actually look forward to my shakes now rather than dread them.) I am having a problem though how do you make yours? Your photo's look so nice. My shakes come out so foamy on the top, I have to wait almost 10-15 minutes for the foam to go away. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Heather

heather1434@gmail.com

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Heather, Thank you :) Glad you are enjoying the Max Protein. It's good stuff. Mostly I blend them in a blender... I used to have an Oster Beehive but I treated myself to a Vitamix. Both did a great job of blending without creating foam. I like to add frozen fruit or ice that helps too. I drink them with a straw too... my Dr doesn't have straw rules.

~Shelly

Judy said...

Thanks for all of the good food ideas. I was wanting to try the protien balls but I really don't like peanut butter in anything so I tried making them with cream cheese. They turned out really yummy.

Anonymous said...

Do you actually count calories this far out? I am having a hard time getting those stubborn last 15-20 off...I am up 5 down 5 for about a year! Any ideas to kickstart weight loss again?

Michelle said...

I absolutely love your blog..I read it every single day and think you truly are inspiring.

I am a year post op and have tried a few of these recipes, my question..do you track calories? If so would you be able to post them?

Keep up the good work, your doing amazing!

missyd.whitcomb@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better Ü

Tressa

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of the Cherry muffins.... without the coconut though. Not a fan for some reason. Thanks for all the great ideas.

Question: Can you use the paper liners for your muffins and they peel off nicely? I was afraid the batter might stick too much but I think I'm going to try.

KathiKins

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks guys, Hope you enjoy them.

***

I hit fitday.com to check whether I am on track (not everyday as I did the first year) I try to do a 50% protein, 25% complex carb, 25% fats ratio each day but work with your Dr./nut because my ratio is based on what works for me... people running around after kids, active job, big time cardio person may need more carbs. Someone may need more less fats.

***

KathiKins :)

You can use paper liners they actually come out better without though... spray with Pam and use non stick pan.

You won't taste unsweetened coconut in these... it's a used as a binder versus a flavoring thing. You could sub almond meal.