Monday, July 27, 2009

Simple Summer Salad

The weather is really odd this summer. We get pretty hot in my 'hood but normally we get a nice breeze in the evening that cools us down quick. Not this summer... triple digit days and we're staying near 80's till 10 PM. Ugghh. In this heat I'm looking for no-cook (well little cook) quick and cool meals. Here was my yummy lunch from yesterday...


Shelly's Summer Shrimp Salad

1 (15 oz.) can Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans, Ceci), rinsed and drained
1/2 lb. Large Cooked Shrimp
1 Cucumber, diced
1/4 of a Red Onion, diced
3 Green Onions, diced
12 (or so) Cherry Tomatoes, halved
2 Tablespoons Fresh Basil, chopped
2 Tablespoons Pine Nuts
zest of 1/2 a Lemon

Dressing
Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Mix together. Pour dressing over salad.

This was so light and refreshing. I ate it on it's own but it would be especially good with some of my Bites (crustless quiches)

If shrimp isn't your thing replace with chicken. Would be a great use for a leftover grilled chicken breast.

Other Eggface Bean Salads:
Shelly's Italian Bean Salad
Shelly's Greek Bean Salad
Shelly's Black & White Bean Salad
Shelly's Corn, Crab and Black Bean Salad
Shelly's Jazzy New Orleans Muffaletta Salad
Shelly's Beef & Bean Taco Salad

13 comments:

Chelsea's Mom said...

Oh that looks so refreshing! My daughter lives in Seattle and they are suffering through a heat wave as well. She is vegan, but could make the salad without the meat and it still would be delish! Thanks for sharing - hope you cool down soon!

Ms. B said...

mmm, that looks so good!!! It's 100+ everyday here, but that's to be expected in this location. That looks like the perfect recipe to beat the heat!

xo

Jennifer
http://milliedeel.blogspot.com/

Donna said...

I couldn't find the champagne vinegar, so I tried some Pear-infused White Balsamic! So good. Thanks for sharing... Like Ms. B, it's so danged hot and humid here, I'm looking forward to this after my run tonight! :)

Miss Cali Zaftig said...

Over 100 here in sunny Sacramento (yet again), and I'm making this shrimp salad tomorrow! Thanks!

*Teresa* said...

Hi there! Everything you share with us is soooooooo much appreciated. Your recipes are fabulous. There are a few that I need to do some serious shopping for...the reason for my inquiry. I've noticed to get many of the items on your lists, if we buy from Amazon, we need to buy in bulk. I'm wondering if you know of any retail stores in NY (Long Island) that may sell products like Bird's Custard Powder, Malted Milk Powder, Spelt Flour, etc...things not in a general grocery store? I went to Trader Joe's this evening and was very disappointed. It wasn't what I expected at all. Perhaps it's just the one near my home, but it was very small and did not have even 1/4 of what was on my list.

I'd appreciate any direction you might be able to provide.

Thanks in advance.

:D

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hope you guys enjoy it!

***

Bird's Custard... Cost Plus World Market, British Import Store

Spelt Four... Health Food Store, Wild Oats/Henry's, Winco

Malted Milk Powder... the unsweetened is hard to find in stores. Health Food maybe.

Anonymous said...

It was hot today here in Seattle as well. I hung out at Costco and picked up some of those hummus packs. Thanks for mentioning those. They are great to take with you.
I make greek salad about 2x week in the summer. I think next time I'll add shrimp!
Thanks again..Deb T.

Miss Thystle said...

Oh YUM! I'm having that for dinner tonight I think!

Allison said...

This salad looks delicious! living in florida, shrimp is all too accesible. MMM. Guess this is what I am making tonight!
Allison @bbvitamins.com

emgraz said...

Made this for dinner the other night....was FABULOUS!!! I used apple cider vinegar instead of the champagne vinegar....still tasted really great!!!

Thanks Shelly for all you do, you are a lifesaver!!!

Is HOT and HUMID here in PA....I can deal w/ hot, but add in that humidity and it's downright "sauna-ish"...

Erica

Anonymous said...

I am a vegitarian and a lot of your recipes are awesome for me too!!!
thankyou so much!

Anonymous said...

cool

dede said...

Yum!!! I get so excited when I think about getting to eat food again...this looks wonderful! One more week of creamies...then purees for two weeks...then YA BABY!!!!!!
dede