Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Breakfast with Bento & Mum

How I started my day...

I filled my Super Cool Bento Box with breakfast treats, brought it outside and shared it with my favorite person, my Mum.

Blue Box (top left): Shelly's Malibu Fruit Salad
Orange Box (top right): Cottage Cheese w/ Pineapple (storebought - I use Fresh & Easy store brand but Knudsen's and Breakstone's makes one too)
Pink Box (bottom left): Shelly's Egg Scramble (Migas Style - just scrambled eggs w/ leftover bits - Ham, Peppers, Salsa & Cheese)
Green Box (bottom right): Shelly's Cherry Nut Mini Protein Muffins (sliced in half and sauteed till yummy golden crunchy edges form)

More Eggface Breakfast Bentos

This afternoon Mum and I went to the new P.F. Chang's in town and had Mmmm lettuce wraps. Soooo good.


I've got a new flavor of Protein Ice Cream churning right now for dessert.

Who says you can't eat yummy food after weight loss surgery???

We need to talk ;)


Fab Kate said...

I have some questions about the bento boxes.

do each of the compartments have lids?

I know these are supposed to be portable, but I wonder if the foods slosh out into the outer boxes or into each other as the boxes are moved.

Why did you chose the one you did? I see a number of different styles. Did you look at them all before buying them? What did you like/ dislike about the various boxes?

My kids are going to have to carry lunches to school next year, and were un-thrilled with the idea until I told them I'd likely be getting them bento boxes. Now I have to decide what type of boxes to get, and I want to get one for me as well. While the girls and I have different needs (they need to get a healthy lunch to school, I like the boxes for travel to help plan a healthy post surgical meal) I think that in general, bento boxes may be just what we need.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Kate,

They are fun! Lots of colors so you can identify yours.

In my set (called a Laptop Lunch Box System - Whimsical) You get 5 containers (2 have lids the pink one and a little condiment container blue in my set)

I got this one because I heard a lot of good things about it on Bento blogs and I saw one being used in person and was sold.

So far so good on the leaking nothing so far BUT I don't use them for soup or anything too thin... thinnest stuff has been yogurt, cottage cheese, salads with dressings but not sopping. The lid snaps shut really close to the food so it seals it shut.

No complaints so far. I don't use it daily but so far no staining or smells which was a concern of mine.

Hope this helps,

I am also considering this one for hot soups and things. Next time I have a little extra $ for a treat


Catherine said...

I LOVE PF CHANG'S!!!! The Cantonese shrimp are soooo good and actually not too bad calorie-wise. The last (loser) BF was fired from there so i couldn't eat there while we were dating ... but it was open season after the break up. LOLOLOLOL

Fab Kate said...

I kinda like that one. The one I was thinking about for myself was THIS ONE

and for the kids: THIS and THIS

It looked like those (and the one you linked) would hold things better, even liquidy things. The one you linked looked BIG... if you get it, please post about it. I'd be really interested to see if the size of it is pouch friendly :)

Trista said...

After reading your blog and noticed your bento box, I immediately ordered it and I love it! It's great to portion out sizes and not have a million little plastic containers to take to work. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

Brittney Harraway said...

I just had RNY Nov.5.2013. Somebody told me about your blog and I fell in love. Bookmarked as one of my favorites. Looking at getting the bento box when I am out of soft phase. Love this blog!!!!!!!!'