Sunday, July 16, 2006

I'm Melting...

I'm 35 or 36 pounds down depending on which scale you believe. I'm still having peeing issues but I heard that's normal after a surgery... damn catheters. I had a kidney stone and ended up in the ER. I figured I would. I had them before surgery and I know I haven't been getting in enough H20. Must. do. Better. After antibiotics and some really good pain drugs I'm starting to feel a lot better. I'm about 85% but I think I would be even better if it wasn't so damn HOT! It's been over 100 for days and today it's supposed to be 108 degrees... maybe its not the surgery at all making me lose weight... maybe I'm really melting from the heat. I hate the summer. I need to move where its cold. Alaska is looking good right now. Plus it has the added bonus of having 3 men for every 1 woman. My clothes are all baggy which is fine for now because its HOTTER than you-know-where. I'm still wearing a binder so that's an extra layer of clothing I don't usually have to deal with. Some things really amaze me post surgery... how little I eat and am completely full on, I can walk! I sleep 100% better, a lot fewer headaches, no acid reflux, and great blood pressure. Wows already!

Aren't you supposed to be cold after surgery when is that gonna start???

On another note: I put in my notice at work. I know this is the right thing. I'll miss some of the staff and the children of course but I need a change.

Highlights of the day:
I'm sure it's cooler here than the fiery pits of hell. Well maybe.
The ice trays are full.
I could be in Palm Springs or Phoenix or Death Valley.
I ate zucchini for breakfast and it tasted great (my first veggies)

Listening to: the fan. Thank God for electricity!
QOTD: How do the Amish stay cool???


Briggie said...

i've been reading your posts, and i know this post was from 2006 and it's now 2007 but do you remember what kind of foods were you eating once you got home? did you find you urinated a little less once you got home from the hospital? did you find that your tastes changed? sugar free drinks are so darn sickening sweet for me that i can't even get them past my lips. my surgery date was 6/21/2007, i had an RNY as well, and it is now 7/8/2007 and i find i am only eating a few teaspoons of mashed potatoes, jello and pudding (sugar free)and popsicles and drinking smart water and skim milk. i'm not on any meds any more with the exception of cummidin to prevent blood clots (temporary due to surgery) and they have reduced my blood pressure medication from 80mg daily to 40mg daily. that is a huge plus. as of 7/2 i lost 25 pounds post surgery, not sure what i weigh right now but i am concerned about becoming dehydrated and not getting protein in. my doctor just wants me to focus on hydration rather than what i'm eating. unfortuneatly that is easier said than done when everyone else in the house can eat and the smells permeate that room. i am a great cook and i love to cook for friends and family. my son has adopted this love and it's like being tortured because not only can i not eat the foods he prepares, i cannot cook for my family either - big time bummer. oh and by the way - YOU LOOK GREAT!!!! briggie ^i^

Michelle said...

Hi Briggie, It's so tough in the beginning but it does get better. I promise. I made regular refried beans with melted cheese but I also whizzed up other beans too black beans with salsa and a little sour cream, cannelini beans with a tsp. of pesto sauce. I steamed cauliflower and made a homemade cheese sauce (like for mac & cheese) and whizzed that up. I made alot of homemade soups and used my stick blender to puree them. One of my favorites was crab salad with a squeeze of lime and a dab of mayo whizzed up and and chicken salad with dill or plain yogurt & curry powder or a little pesto sauce, tuna salad with white beans and lemon juice or italian dressing. Egg salad. Corned Beef & Roast Beef Hash. For an Italian fix: ricotta cheese, mozarella, tomato sauce, basil, oregano & parmesan baked in the oven. Hope these help they were ok on my plan but might not be on yours so be sure to check with your Dr.

Kathy said...

Ok.. I've been feeling somewhat depressed. Wondering why the weight is not coming off as fast as I thought it would. I had my RNY March 8th and it's now April 9th. I'm down 34 / 35 pounds depending on the scale. Some of that also is from the 2 week pre-surgery diet. I would say it was about 18 pounds down during pre-surgery protein shakes. It feels like I'm depressed about the slow weight loss from this. I know it will come off cause everyone says it will. I'm following the food plan exactly as the doctor told me to do. I've been the perfect patient. Reading your posting here it sounds like I'm just right in there with the same pounds loss so far as you did this far after surgery. I'm now feeling .... ok, I think I'm on schedule to what's the norm for this many weeks after surgery. Thank you so much Shelly... All of your posts are giving me much hope. :)

AussieNikki said...

Hi Michelle thanks so much. In one paragraph you,ve given me a whole new perspective. I,m week 6 and feeling like I was not doing well food wise. I was bored and uninspired. Now I,m excited and all fired up. A thousand thank you,s for your great blogg.